Liberty Reserve Security Tutorial
Hello LRExchange readers. As I am getting messages almost daily from users that got their Liberty Reserve accounts hacked I decided to write this short tutorial on how to keep your account secure. On top of that one of my accounts were hacked few months ago losing a good amount of money. This determined me to learn a lot about online security and particularly liberty reserve security. After months of reading and trying security methods and tutorials I can say I’m pretty good at this and never experienced a hack again. So let me share what I’ve learn:
Liberty Reserve Security is equal with your email address security
To put it simple if your email account is getting hacked then the attacker will simply get your Liberty Reserve details including master key so he can steal your money right away and send them to a 3rd party account. At this moment your funds are gone forever as LR transfers are irreversible.
How your LR account details are obtained
I was not sure if is ok to put this information here as may be used by bad people to hack accounts but on the other hand I think is better for my readers to understand the risks and protect against LR hack.
After the hacker gets inside your email account they can simply get your LR account number on this LR page: Remind Account Number. Next, using Account Reset Wizard page after entering your LR account, email address will get in the compromised email address a new password, login pin and master pin.
To recapitulate now the hacker have your account, your login pin, your password your master pin and the email address access so he can get IP sentinel code and cofirm the login and make any transaction.Hope you understand now that LR security is weak and if someone compromise your email address then he can steal all your Liberty Reserve Funds. We need to focus on protecting the email address.
10 Rules for Strong Liberty Reserve Security
This rules are mandatory to keep your account safe from hacking. If you follow them the chances to get hacked are relatively low so make sure you follow them.
- Use an email provider that have strong security. I recommend Hushmail or Hotmail. Yahoo is very common nowadays but is also often targeted by attackers. I have mixed feelings about Gmail: If you are going to use Strong GMail security including phone verification then you should be fine otherwise better avoid it as I experienced it can be quite easily hacked using cookie stealing or attackers can find details about you and fill the forgot password form getting a new password.
- The email address used on LR account should never ever be used on other sites (including Facebook,forums, yahoo messenger) and do not share it on forums or with your online contacts. Is very important that no one should know the email address of your Liberty Reserve Account.
- Use a strong unique password for your email account and do not use it on other services.For a strong password make sure it is at least 6 characters is a combination of uppercase and lowercase letters and have at least one number within the password. Do not use a name, a word that could be found in the dictionary, or a series of letters as it appears on the keyboard. “qwerty” and “12345” are not secure passwords while MyB1rthd@y1284 it is
- Do not respond to email that claim to come from Liberty Reserve and do not visit urls placed in emails. If you want to access LR type it in your browser and make sure the SSL small icon is present so the connection is secure (HTTPS)
- Reading the latest online tests seems that Google Chrome is the safest browser nowadays. Use Google Chrome, Mozilla FireFox Or Opera to access your LibertyReserve account. Do not use the inbuilt password storage facility as can quite easily be broken and an attacker can get all your passwords.
- Use an internet security software that should have at least this components: Firewall, AntiVirus, AntiSpyware, Infected URL Protection . I recommend Kaspersky Internet Security because have a lot of tools that enhance online security. To name a few: Password Manager keeps your password strongly encripted. , Virutal Keyboard – enter your password with the mouse by selecting the corresponding letter on a visual keyboard instead of actually typing it. Another great tool is Safe Run Applications area. Placing Google Chrome on that area ensures you no keylogger and trojan can intercept the information you send. I recommend using Safe Run when you visit shady URLs that may place viruses, trojans on your computer.
- Do not install shady software or cracked applications. I know some of you use this kind of software but even if is free you should understand that most of this applications comes bunddled with viruses or worms. Even if antivirus says is clean it doesnt actually mean is clean as at a latter moment may start hurting your computer. If you still want to run this kind of programs do it only on a virtual machine and not on the main system you use to access LR.
- At least weekly, do a full scan of your computer for viruses.Also clean your cookies and temporary files. I am surprised to see that when I do full scan on my computer my antiviruses find all kind of nasty files in my temporary internet files. So make sure you delete this folders quite often.
- Avoid logging from shared computers (schools, work,internet cafe). If you must use an internet cafe or shared computer, make sure it has been scanned for viruses, trojans, and keyloggers and when you get back home change your passwords ASAP. This shared computers are infected with programs that steal passwords. Do not forget to use a virtual keyboard. At the end log off from the account.
- Use multiple accounts for payments: One for doing payments and 2-3 for keeping the funds.This way you do not have to list on your website your main account that can be targeted by attackers. Even if your public account is hacked shouldn’t be too much money in it. That’s why need to keep your funds spread in multiple safe accounts.
I try in this article to explain you how to better protect your account and avoind getting hacked. This tutorial is not perfect but for the sake of keeping short enough to be read I decided to write the most important things you should remember.
Use the comments form to ask me something or simply post your thoughts on the article. Have you been hacked ?! What security measures you use on your account? Let’s share knowledge and avoid loosing money.